Senior Preparatory The Whole Character
In the Senior Preparatory part of Terra Nova School, in addition to the Curriculum, the holistic focus is very much on developing the child’s whole character. By the time our pupils leave the school at 13, they are confident, articulate, mature young people equipped with the necessary tools to enable them to make the very best of the opportunities their senior school will present.
The Griffin Award
The Griffin Award, is only available to Year 7&8, promotes leadership, giving pupils the knowledge, skills and confidence to plan, organise and lead a broad range of activities. In order to achieve The Griffin Award, pupils must achieve the following criteria:
1) Attitude and Resilience
- During House and/or School Competition, demonstrates mental toughness by remaining confident and focused. Responds positively to individual and team setbacks.
2) House Leader / School Captain
- Embraces the role of team leader, organising and enforcing positive thinking on team mates during School and/or House Competition.
3) Charitable Contribution
- Organisation and/or support of a charitable event in school and in your local community.
4) Planning and Leading Activities
- Effectively plan, organise and deliver an activity for peers.
5) OAA Explorer
- Embraces a range of challenges whilst participating in an Outdoor and Adventure activity.
6) Peer Mentoring
- Takes responsibility for the welfare, safety and development of a younger peer through the TN Buddy System.
7) GM Gold Award
- Performs in all aspects of school life to achieve a GM Gold Award.
8) Forest School Ambassador
- Support staff in planning and delivering of a Forest School activity.
9) Senior Boarder
- Demonstrates excellent levels of behaviour and independence when boarding. Support staff in the delivery of a boarding activity.
Team building and leadership activities
- Reflective or Responsible
- Resilient in persevering
- Collaborative in working with their peers
Pastoral contributions eg how engaged, enthusiastic and how much pupils contribute to school life
House system contributions eg how much pupils contribute to the house system
In Year 7&8 pupils complete the Griffin Award, designed to help them learn to lead, recognise their strengths and weaknesses, organise themselves and others and contribute to the wider school community.
The Risk taker
A typical day in Senior Prep
Individual attention and personalised learning tailored to each and every pupil, leading to inspirational outcomes.
A proud heritage steeped in traditional values with a thoroughly modern approach and delivery.
2½ to 13 years
Seamless transition, specialist teaching, leadership opportunities, all-round nurture and outstanding pastoral care.
Makerspace, The Hub, 32 Acres, Shooting Range, Swimming Pool. Stunning facilities in a beautiful environment.
French, Spanish, German and Latin, taught by experts in the knowledge and understanding of second language learning.
Letter from the Headmaster Welcome to the first edition of the Inspire Magazine for the academic year 2018/19. This term has been filled with numerous activities, from high calibre performances to sporting events. We are delighted to capture just a small number of...read more
On Sunday 7th October, Harry PM in Year 7 competed and won Shrewsbury School's Hunt Cross Country Championship to win the U13 category of this prestigious cross-country championship. The 2 mile challenging course provided the perfect setting for Harry to showcase his...read more
Sign up to Terra Nova's 'Tough Mudder' style challenge taking place in our fabulous school grounds on Sunday 24th June at 10am. Participants will be entered into U13, U11 & U9 categories. Each registration will be charged at £5. Please register:...read more