Junior Preparatory Caring for your child
Terra Nova School is fundamentally an extremely happy place. This is immediately apparent when you visit the school. The children grow up in a caring, safe environment where they form friendships that last a lifetime.
All teaching staff act “in loco parentis” but caring for the children in the many ways that a parent does are responsibilities the school takes very seriously. Teachers undertake varying pastoral responsibilities and the importance of adhering to the school’s values are constantly emphasised.
Good behaviour and manners are expected as the norm. The children learn to assess and comprehend their own emotions and how their actions affect those around them. They learn about friendship groups and as they grow older, the children discuss the many different subjects in the lessons entitled Personal, Health, Social & Citizenship Education.
The school opens during term times from 7.30am on a Monday morning and closes at 9.30 on a Saturday morning, for the duration of this time we guarantee that our pupils are:
Happy & Safe
The House system
The Buddy system
The Teaching staff responsible for childrens’ pastoral welfare
- The Head of the Junior and Senior Prep School both have direct responsibility for pastoral care.
- The school employs a school counsellor and an independent listener.
- 4 GAP students live at school and aged 18 act as older siblings / friends for our pupils
- The Matrons are based in the school surgery and children, particularly new starters, often make their way to see the matrons if in need of five minutes TLC!
The games kit list for children in Years 3-8 is extensive but once delivered to school in September, there it remains until the end of the year. The Matrons provide a “much appreciated by the parents” on site laundry service.
- Each boarding night there is a designated teacher on duty, who lives on site.
- The Headmaster & his wife also live on site
- The GAP students live at the school and sleep adjacent to the boarding dormitories.
- The senior Matron lives on site, also near the boarding landings.