Boarding Provision at Terra Nova
Rachael Deighton – Boarding Coordinator
Rachel Lee – Boarding Tutor
Emma Bailey – Boarding Tutor
Terra Nova School’s commitment to boarding is founded in its belief that the boarding element of life at Terra Nova offers our pupils something unique.
The opportunity to develop independence, organisation skills and self motivation in addition to relaxing and socialising with friends are all benefits of our boarding provision.
- Flexible boarding is available and inclusive of Monday – Friday
- A Boarding Coordinator, boarding tutors, GAP students and independent listener make up the boarding team in supporting the boarders
- Children can board from Year 3 upwards
- In addition to socialising with friends in the common rooms, boarders are able to sign up to a variety of extra curricular activities such as sports training, acting classes, table tennis or dodgeball!
From September 2019, full boarding will be available for pupils from Year 3.
Why our pupils relish the opportunity to board
- They benefit academically in having more lessons timetabled into longer days.
- They benefit from after school clubs and extra lessons in subjects that they either have a passion for or need extra preparation in. e.g. extra classes are timetabled in advance of 11+, 13+ common entrance or scholarship exams.
- After supper the children have their own downtime to spend time with their friends in enjoying the school’s amazing facilities playing tennis, playing football on the astro or accessing the Google chromebooks.
- Boarding undoubtedly develops our pupils’ confidence and independence.
- The children enjoy a freedom in choosing how to spend their free time that is very difficult to recreate at home in a world where children can’t easily spend time away from adults at the park or walk to their friends’ houses.
Why we as a school benefit from offering a boarding provision
We are the only boarding school in Cheshire, just another reason our school is uniquely wonderful!
The staff and structures in place to support boarding enhance what we are able to offer our pupils, just some examples of this are detailed below:
- medical care from the matrons,
- freshly cooked breakfast, lunch, teas and suppers from the on site kitchen,
- the Gap year students who support the boarding & sports aspects of school and at 18/19 years old become like older siblings for our pupils.
- The boarding provision enables our school to be an extension of our pupils’ homes, in essence our school is a community with boarding at its heart.
Why our parents like our flexible boarding approach
- Our parents are a diverse mix of people some of whom are familiar with boarding but many of whom have had no experience of it until their child arrives at Terra Nova! The concept of flexible boarding dovetails with family life.
- Boarding undoubtedly develops our pupils’ confidence and independence
- Practically speaking, having after school activities and supper all available at school saves parents’ time and petrol costs.
- Our pupils’ in Year 7&8 are changing from children to young people, they seek a greater degree of independence from their parents which is available to them in the safe environment of school.
- Terra Nova is a magical place for children to grow up in.
Individual attention and personalised learning tailored to each and every pupil, leading to inspirational outcomes.
A proud heritage steeped in traditional values with a thoroughly modern approach and delivery.
2½ to 13 years
Seamless transition, specialist teaching, leadership opportunities, all-round nurture and outstanding pastoral care.
Makerspace, The Hub, 32 Acres, Shooting Range, Swimming Pool. Stunning facilities in a beautiful environment.
French, Spanish, German and Latin, taught by experts in the knowledge and understanding of second language learning.
Shrewsbury School Head of Girls’ Games delivers masterclass in netball skills to Terra Nova’s pupils
Terra Nova School's netball players wish to express their thanks to Shrewsbury School's Head of Girls' Games; Nicola Bradburne and Senior 1st team coach; Nicola Hall, who visited Terra Nova School this week to deliver a coaching session. The TN girls benefitted from...read more
Terra Nova's Year 8 pupils attended the launch event for the GO4SET scheme at SciTech Daresbury. The boys had an excellent morning winning the engineering challenge to build a tower out of marshmallows and spaghetti. They also chose the engineering challenge “create...read more
Congratulations to Reuben P who has been awarded a music scholarship to Shrewsbury School. Reuben is a current Year 8 pupil at Terra Nova School and will start at senior school in Sep 2019. Congratulations Reuben!read more